Re: chrome popularity was re: case against firefox in FesCo

On 1/11/2016 1:22 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 2:07 PM, kendell clark <coffeekingms@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 1/11/2016 1:01 PM, Elad Alfassa wrote:

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 8:21 PM, Nikos Roussos <comzeradd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

A few reasons, in my own personally believed order of popularity for
Chrome:

1. Media "just works".  Netflix, amazon video/music, spotify, etc.
Netflix "just works" on Firefox too (due to EME support). Spotify is
flash. If you install flash-plugin it works on Firefox too.

Installing Flash does not count as "just works"... and Firefox does not
support EME on Linux, and it won't support it for a while. I tried it this
week with both the release version, and nightly, and neither had EME
working.

--
-Elad.

"I'll look at this from a different point of view. What good is chrome, no
matter how wonderful and fast and easy it is, if an entire segment of the
population cannot use it? Where's the justification for not even bothering
to make it usable except through their own addons? I for one have not bought
into the wonderfullness of drm, or the "just works" philosophy. Some of my
community has, but I have not. No matter how good a piece of software is, if
I can't use it, it might as well be a black screen. My two scents, I'll shut
up now, I've beaten this dead horse enough lol.
You're asking fine questions, but nobody here is advocating for Chrome
nor can we answer those questions even if we were.  They should be
asked of Google upstream.

josh

"nods, I get a little over the top when it comes to accessibility. I believe I have asked google at some point. Not directly of course, but through the chromium bug tracker. The answer is something like, we're trying to provide a uniform experience, so use our addons. Doublespeak for it's easier controlling accessibility our own way, rather than making code to support at-spi and atk on linux, msaa and such on windows, and whatever mac has. Mind you this is not proof, just what I remember hearing from google. I keep chromium around on my arch system, testing to see if it ever become accessible. So far it hasn't.
Thanks
Kendell clark"