Re: Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

On Mon, 2014-10-20 at 09:50 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 09:00:47AM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> > Maybe we should spend less time debating where to put the logo, and more
> > time on how to turn those perceptions around ?
>
> The above problems actually are being actively worked on, via
> development like new Bodhi, taskotron, etc.  So I hope the people
> working on those things aren't going to feel undervalued by the above
> comments.

Right. I didn't mean to dismiss any of these efforts, I'm sure they help
to improve the situation. But perceptions are sticky - people _still_
associate pulseaudio with 'broken sound', although it has been working
flawlessly for many years...

> I would really like to see some brand expertise involved that could
> help us better define the problem.  To me that problem isn't "where do
> we put the logo" but "How do we ensure that people know what they're
> seeing/running".

If you put it that way, lets discuss situations in which people might
end up in front of a Fedora Workstation machine without knowing what the
OS is. I can come up with:

- School lab. In this case, you probably see the login screen first
thing, which has the workstation logo on it.

- Conference presentation. This it Matt's favorite's example. I've
talked about it before; I'm not really convinced that intrusive
advertising is called for here - the presenter is using Fedora as a tool
to do his job, he's not there as a Fedora ambassador

- Public kiosk. Not a use case the workstation is targetting, currently.
Even if it was, the organization running the kiosk may very well want to
use the available space for slapping its own logo on...

Anything else ? I can't really come up with many other scenarios. In any
scenario where the user installed the system himself, we should assume
that he can remember what he installed.