Re: Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

On Sat, 2014-10-18 at 11:37 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 10:21:27PM -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > I wonder if a collaboration between the Fedora and GNOME designers might
> > find room for a downstream logo somewhere, as was the case for the login
> > screen when we tried to remove the logo there. I suspect not in this
> > case, but it doesn't hurt to try.
>
> Yes, that's absolutely what we need — thanks.

This thread seems to have reached the limits of productivity, but I do
not want to leave it with a false sense that we can just ask the
designers working on GNOME to specify in which prominent and always
visible position to put the Fedora logo and that will solve thing... so
I wanted to summarize a few things that likely have come up earlier in
the thread:

It was a deliberate choice - part of the GNOME brand identity - that the
top panel *does not* include a logo. Two of the key design ideas of
GNOME 3 are that elements visible at all times are minimized, and that
everything outside of the application - that is not the content that the
user is working on, is kept monochrome and dark. Beyond violating those
principles, putting a logo next to Activities - which is honestly the
only place that makes any sense - has the problem that it looks a
separate control, confusing the user and making access to the Activities
overview a precision pointing activity instead of the intended
ultra-easy corner-of-the-screen access.

We can obviously ignore all of this and put a logo onto the top bar
anyways case, but it's an unfriendly action towards GNOME on the part of
Fedora. And is especially problematical because Fedora *is* seen as very
closely associated with GNOME, and at that point it becomes nearly
impossible to convince any other distro not to put their logos there as
well.

- Owen