Re: bug triage [was Re: Fedora Logo on the login screen]

On 03/25/2013 03:58 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
On 03/25/2013 11:53 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
The components have to stay the number of maintainers need to be
increased behind relevant component(s) and or those maintainers that are
unwilling or otherwise unable to due their due diligence in their
distribution maintainership for one reason or another be replaced with
once that are.
I believe they *are* doing their due diligence, it's just that they're
upstream. I've fallen into the trap of reporting certain things
downstream (even outside of GNOME) and finding out later that it's
better to report upstream for certain components.

We can't expect our users to know which components in Fedora's bugzilla
are *real* and which you're better off not bothering with.

Maybe if we can auto-detect a maintainer in our downstream is the same
as a maintainer upstream, we pre-fill the bug template for their
component with 'don't use this, file at bugzilla.upstream.org'? And then
if the downstream maintainer ever changes, reactivating the component?

As I mentioned years ago that this can be solved technically as in the problem for reporters having to have gazillion upstream bugzilla accounts or upstream maintainers having gazillion downstream bugzilla accounts ( same problem for both parties involved, you just need bi-directional communication between two or more bugzilla instances then all the downstream reports could be handle by triagers who would forward it upstream via flag in bugzilla and upstream do the same ) there even is a an RFE somewhere deep in the closet of the RH Bugzilla maintainers and I think James actually had one of them look into it with mozilla developers but I think that guy has quit RH and we cant do nothing about hacking bugzilla since it's not our own instance but we share it with RHEL which arguably we should not be doing in the first place since it goes against our foundation of "freedom" .

JBG