Re: Fedora Logo on the login screen

> On Wed, 2013-03-20 at 15:12 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>
> > - some people feel that there is a concerted effort in upstream GNOME
> >   to deemphasize and/or remove downstream branding. (The existence of a concept called
> >   GNOME OS probably doesn't help work against that perception.)
>
> This seems a pretty inarguable trend to me: there is much more of a
> vertically integrated GNOME stack in Fedora than there ever used to be.
> We are replacing the generic Fedora firstboot with gnome-initial-setup,
> for GNOME installs. GNOME has been systematically attempting to replace
> system-config-* with environment specific changes.
>
> I don't necessarily think this is a *bad* Thing, but it is definitely a
> Thing. There is a definite trend towards our default live image and
> package set becoming a lot more GNOME-y and a lot less Fedora-y.

Oh, I forgot: GTK+ is getting tied closer and closer to GNOME, and there
is a strong blurring of the lines between GTK+ apps and GNOME apps. GDM
used to be a GTK+-based, fairly desktop-agnostic login manager: it is
now a special instance of GNOME Shell, strongly integrated with GNOME.
It can load other desktops, but this is almost a coincidence at this
point.

Again, I don't necessarily think these are bad things, but they're
definitely things, and possibly ones Fedora as a project has not thought
about systematically at the level of 'what does this mean for Fedora,
and do we have to adjust anything else to account for these changes?'
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey