Re: Fedora Logo on the login screen

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 7:29 PM, seth vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:24:03 -0400
> Cosimo Cecchi <ccecchi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> I would normally be ashamed and frustrated to the idea alone of
>> replying to a message like this, but I will make myself an exception,
>> because I feel it's important for me to say it.
>>
>> I think this message of yours was rude, inflammatory and
>> condescending. It's technically misinformed. It misses the entire
>> point of this discussion.
>> It moves the argument to a space where it can only die, or burst in an
>> unproductive flame that will have no positive outcome other than
>> making people more frustrated and less willing to engage in a serious
>> conversation on this list in the future.
>>
>> Communication and collaboration can be hard, and I think we can only
>> succeed if we carefully weight what we're saying and respectfully
>> consider the nature of people involved in a given discussion.
>> I personally believe project leaders especially should realize this,
>> and I am often saddened to observe that this is not the case in
>> Fedora.
>>

> Cosimo,
>
> I completely disagree - This is a fedora desktop list - I recommended a
> simple and technical solution to our disagreement. There was nothing
> inflammatory about it whatsoever. I recommended using another,
> available, program that steps around the issue and is immediately
> available to fedora.
>
> If this were a gnome mailing list I would agree that it would be
> inappropriate but this is not a gnome mailing list - this is the fedora
> desktop list.
>
> If you could address the technical issues of my suggestion, I'd be
> happy to hear.

OK I'll bite there are technical and usability advantages of using gdm
when gnome is used as the default desktop.
For one consistency you have the same look and feel on the login
screen as in your desktop, nice transition effect from going from
greeter -> desktop, faster login due to usage of the same libraries,
support for accessibility in the login screen keeping the
accessibility options on if the user needed them for login and many
others ...

It is not as simple as replacing it with something else as you thing
... sure it isn't impossible but it causes lots of regression. I'd
argue coming up to an agreement regarding the logo issue is way easier
so lets focus on that.