Re: customization of themes and colors in gnome 3 desktop in Fedora 15

> Everyone working on the new GNOME 3 knows there are still some bugs,
> and is working to fix them.  And I would expect 3.2 to be better in
> this regard.  I'm not convinced a new theme is the answer to the
> problem as opposed to working upstream to fix bugs.

Please note, that I am talking about Fedora 15 release here, not the
future plans. Yes, I am sure till the time Gnome 3.2 be ready, we will
have many improvements, and themes structure will probably be
rewritten completely.

> Or the gsettings tool, which is included by default.  That doesn't
> address the root cause which is glyph coverage, because the goal is
> for the environment to have a fresh, consistent look using Cantarell.

Can you provide me the links to any docs which describe
_officially_suppported_way_ to change fonts, that I can give to our
users when they ask me how to do this? Don't you see that all the info
about changing fonts now refer to gnome-tweak-tool?

> Reductio ad absurdum isn't helpful.  We all talk within fairly
> isolated communities so personal experience isn't the most helpful
> measurement.  Since GNOME 3 is designed to meet a much larger
> audience, I suppose measurement would have to take a representative
> sample that eliminates the biases of (1) people who use IRC, mailing
> lists, etc., (2) people you (or I) know, and so on.

This wasn't the reductio ad absurdum. People at fedoraforum.org,
linux.org.ru, #fedora IRC-chat are not some persons who live next
door, and Google Search doesn't do the searching inside my neighbours
only. This is a world-wide community which I am talking about. I guess
you don't have much time to spend on lurking the web-resources, as I
did last week (I'd say I spent the whole week in the internet so far).
As almost a head of local fedora support (unofficial title yes, and
local doesn't mean small here ) who tries to be in contact with all
others, I have rather wide variety of opinions and I can provide you
needed number of links, just ask.

>> > This tool should only be useful for a small subset of the people
>> > expected to use GNOME 3 and Fedora 15.
>>
>> What measurements do you have to support this assertion?
>
> Please re-read the sentence.  It says "should" for a reason. ;-) What
> that means is, if GNOME 3 meets its design goals, a tweaking tool
> shouldn't be necessary.  Now, it's certainly arguable that 3.0 doesn't
> quite get there, but for me at least it's gone a heck of a long way,
> and I personally haven't found a reason to run gnome-tweak-tool yet.

Once again, we are going to ship Fedora 15 with Gnome 3.0, not Gnome
3.2. That is the problem. And of course gnome-tweak-tool is not the
best solution, but temporary working one. To spend a little bit of
your time to improve it, that's all I am asking.

--
Best regards,
Aleksandra Bookwar