Re: sudo by default?

Hey Bill,

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Christoph Wickert (christoph.wickert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) said:
>> > If I'm not mistaken, we're discussing the Desktop Live image here.
>> > I'd expect we can do better with server installation too, but that's
>> > probably a separate conversation.
>>
>> I would expect changes to /etc/sudoers or /etc/pam.d/sudo to happen
>> globally and not only on the spin. Not sure what exactly we are talking
>> about but I'm sure we are not talking about changes in the livesys
>> initscript that will affect the live mode only.
>
> I ... wouldn't, necessarily. At least, if we're really going to allow
> people to target different use cases, we can't be tied to the least
> common denominator and still make progress.
>
> Of course, that goes back to the purpose of spins, and what they can
> and can't do.

Yeah.  Unfortunately, basically spins were a bad idea.  But given the
present condition I'd prefer that we take the attitude to share
between spins as a last resort not as an initial condition.  If Fedora
must have completely different operating systems under one banner, and
doesn't have the resources to maintain each of these separately, and
wants to share some components where possible - fine.  But for the
love of sanity don't expect each of them to agree on anything.  They
each exist because they have different goals and increasingly
divergent user experiences.

Sharing code or policy or anything between spins/OSes is a convenience
and an optimization and little else.  The current policy that we don't
do anything unless spins agree with get us nowhere.

Jon