Re: Mist and gnome-icon-theme plans for GNOME 2.24/Fedora 10

Martin Sourada wrote:
On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 21:43 +0200, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
Fewer and fewer icons in applications are actually hardcoded, as they need to work with HighContrast, even though there are still some who needs to be fixed. See "Known Applications" on http://live.gnome.org/ThemableAppSpecificIcons With my upstream hat on, I can say that we're really happy for all the help we can get in this area. Both with icons and code for apps to not hardcode their icons.

Firefox and Openoffice are of course exceptions, as they rely heavily on their own theming infrastructure, even though we did a lot of work on using GTK+ stock items in as many places as possible in Firefox3.
- Andreas

That's great. We make sure that when we experience such an issue, we'll
help as much as possible to solve it.

As a side note, I noticed gnome-power-manager is listed among those that
work well, and last time I checked, it used gpm-primary-xyz.png naming
scheme for the battery indication icons. I think, in regard to other
power managers, if there are any, it would make sense to at least remove
the "gpm" part; and as a matter of fact, two of these battery states are
already listed in the icon-naming-specs:

battery-caution  The icon used when the battery is below 40%.
battery-low      The icon used when the battery is below 20%.

I think it would make sense to use those instead of gpm-primary-020 and
gpm-primary-040 and extend it to these as well:

battery-empty    The icon used when the battery is (nearly) empty.
battery-medium   The icon used when the battery is bellow 60%.
battery-high     The icon used when the battery is bellow 80%.
battery-full     The icon used when the battery is bellow 100%.

Also, the same names with -charging suffix for batteries that are
charging and perhaps as an extra icons same names with ups-, phone- or
whatever-other-device-with-battery- prefix...

Any thoughts on this?
Indeed. battery-low and caution isn't really used by any application, as Richard likes to have a lot of battery states, so we shipped power-manager with all the states instead. Not sure what the KDE power manager use.
I'll bring it up with Rodney, who's maintaining the naming-spec.
- Andreas