How stable is ext3fs?

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 03:28:05PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Sort-of.
>
> Jeff Garzik is working on an grand plan wherein filesystems
> will expose their metadata via a meta-filesystem.  This would
> be suitable for reading back filesystem structures, but I'm
> not sure it's suitable for modifying stuff.

It would solve the problem we just saw on 2.5.5 where "tune2fs -L"
dirties superblock buffers behind the fs's back, leading to a
debugging assert trap.  Exposing the fs metadata in this way would at
least let us make individual writes by external applications work
nicely with the transaction system, even if we don't go as far as
exposing complex transaction semantics to user-space.

--Stephen