How stable is ext3fs?

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 02:15:24PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> In your case, it seems that you have many small files in the same
> directory.

exactly

> I bet the directory itself is fragmented, for the same reason - slow
> growth.  Did you copy the files at some stage?  That would unfrag
> the directory.  And the inode table.

Well, on December 25, 2001, the hard disk that contained my /home
partition broke down. Fortunately, it was automatically remounted ro
so that I noticed the failure in the morning when fetching my mails,
and I could restore everything from the backups after I bought a new
disk :) It was an interesting experiance ...

Thus, the directory should be mostly unfragmented and only those mails
that came after Dec 25 should be affected by fragmentation.

> For the above reasons, I partition my machines with all partitions
> the same size, and keep one free.  For the monthly theraputic
> copy-all-files-and-switch-mountpoints speedup.
>
> It's all a bit sad, really.

Hm, I didn't notice effects of fragmentation yet. During the recent
years, I occassionally repartitioned my disks when new ones were
installed, and some partitions were copied over then. But I didn't do
that on a regular basis.

GH