How stable is ext3fs?

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 07:28:05PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > I'm trying to figure out how stable the ex3fs currently is. I'm
> Yes, ext3 goes to great lengths to keep your data safe.  All of my data is
> on it, and ext2 only lives long enough to install a new kernel after dist install
> (with ext3 :)

THX! I've dared to switch completely over to ext3 now, after creating
a backup of /home on a spare partition. (My 4 GB DAT Streamer is
running at the edge of its capacity, so I better keep this additional
backup in the background.)

Can it be that ext3 is considerably faster than ext2 in accessing
large amounts of files in a directory? I've collected about 32000
mails (i. e. files because I'm using maildir) from the list in my
debian-users folder. When switching into that folder, mutt reads the
headers (or whatever) from the mails; when switching off the folder,
it updates the mails.

With ext2, this took quite long, but with ext3 it seems to be much
faster :) How comes?

GH
--
Logic is nothing more than a twist in itself :)