Re: cryptsetup Yubikey challenge-response support

On Sat, 2020-04-11 at 21:56 +0200, Arno Wagner wrote:
> If you want to start a LUKS 2 FAQ, be my guest. But be aware
> that such a thing is a _lot_ of work before it is anywhere

I am documenting for myself as I figure luks2 out and would be willing
to contribute to some end user LUKS2 docs.  I have read the spec pdf
and am still trying to understand how the less used features work
--hence my presence on this list.

It seems that quite a few people have posted this month with an
interest in working on various aspects--mostly smart card related.  If
someone has specific needs pleaase post to this list.  We will do what
we can.

I am building my own LUKS2 questions and answers and will share them as
I find answers. here are the questions I have so far--some of which we
have started addressing on this list.

Questions
=========

* it seems like the keyslot area size is not fixed in luks2 spec.  is
this correct?  what is the default size of keyslot area in the
reference implementation?

* how can I tell if a luks container is already in use before trying to
open it? what is the best way?  alternatives?

* what is an unbound keyslot?  How can I use it?
* what is pbkdf?
* what are per keyslot parameters?
* How can I insert JSON data into the LUKS 2 header?
* How can I extract JSON data from the LUKS 2 header?
* How can I store binary data in the LUKS 2 header?
* I see the header is redundant. Is there an automatic recovery?
* How can I manually recover the luks header if the primary one is
corrupted?