Re: cryptsetup Yubikey challenge-response support

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 18:09:46 CEST, Milan Broz wrote:
> On 11/04/2020 16:49, JT Moree wrote:
> > Arno is working on updating the docs for new features of luks2.
>
> Arno did not add anything to FAQ in this regard for the last two+ years (the last
> contribution was in 2017, I do not count last week change for "LUKS2 is not
> covered" FAQ commit.
> The FAQ is really obsolete now, and we have to update it or remove it
> from distribution soon.
> (Many people already complained through various channels.)

Well, many people complained and exactly zero did any work
or offered any work. Also, zero did complain to me (except
for the comments on the list here). These two details make
me very unconcerned about their complaints.

This is, at the moment, the LUKS 1 FAQ (and that was really
what the commit from last week was about), and as that it does
not need removing. It also covers quite a bit of stuff that is
not LUKS 1 specific and some stuff that is not even LUKS specific.
So unless you are positive nobody uses LUKS 1 anymore, and the
not LUKS 1 specific stuff is irrelevant, removing it would really
be the wrong approach.

If you want to start a LUKS 2 FAQ, be my guest. But be aware
that such a thing is a _lot_ of work before it is anywhere
near completion. That you do not have complete design
documentation for LUKS 2 (as far as I can tell) makes it
even harder. Maybe you write that documentation and as soon
as it is complete, I will go into the FAQ and start updating.

Regards,
Arno

--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx