Re: distributing a linux disk crypted with dm-crypt

En réponse à Sam <test532@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> :

> I believe his point is that if he creates a linux installation
> inside a VMWare vm, and luksFormats the drive image
> from within the image, then once he has installed
> everything on that image, that when he is done and
> now wishes to send that vmware image to others, they
> will all have the same key. Even if they change their
> passphrase, that is just encrypting the same key
> differently. Then anyone person can decrpt anyone else's
> image, as the keys are all the same.

Yes, exactly.

> He does not need the other persons passphrase to
> decode the key passed to the cypher, as his vmware
> image, he knows the key to, and has the same
> underlying key that is passed to the cypher.

Yes that's the problem I'm trying to avoid.

> I am guessing the answer is no, that
> luks/cryptsetup/dmsetup does not support
> switching the key used by the cypher. There
> are probably no tools to do this.

Ok. It's just a technical impossibility, or it's
just because nobody has tried to do it, or it's
pointless?

> What you could do is have your startup scripts
> in the image, on bootup, create
> a new filesystem on top of a newly
> luksFormatted image, and
> then copy everything to there.

Ok, I will do something like that if there
is no other possibility.

Thank you and all others.

Le plaisir de la dermato cosmétique naturelle http://www.terrahumana.fr