Re: distributing a linux disk crypted with dm-crypt

At Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:54:24 +0200,
octane indice wrote:

> But every people I give the appliance will have the crypto key which crypt
> and decrypt data. So, as a security point of view, it's not acceptable.

I'm not shure at all if I understand correctly what you have in mind, but
to unlock a LUKS/dmcrypt partition, you have to provide the correct passphrase/keyfile.
If you do not, there is no way other than bruteforcing it or an attack towards the
encryption itself. The master key itself stays fully encrypted.

You can read more here:
http://cryptsetup.googlecode.com/svn-history/r42/wiki/LUKS-standard/on-disk-format.pdf