Re: distributing a linux disk crypted with dm-crypt

I believe his point is that if he creates a linux installation inside a VMWare
vm, and luksFormats the drive image from within the image, then once he has
installed everything on that image, that when he is done and now wishes to
send that vmware image to others, they will all have the same key. Even if
they change their passphrase, that is just encrypting the same key
differently. Then anyone person can decrpt anyone else's image, as the keys
are all the same. He does not need the other persons passphrase to decode the
key passed to the cypher, as his vmware image, he knows the key to, and has
the same underlying key that is passed to the cypher.

I am guessing the answer is no, that luks/cryptsetup/dmsetup does not support
switching the key used by the cypher. There are probably no tools to do this.

What you could do is have your startup scripts in the image, on bootup, create
a new filesystem on top of a newly luksFormatted image, and then copy
everything to there.

Sam