Re: Altering hash for existing volume

Hopeless@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've been playing around with a command line pbkdf2 app, to feed generate
> a key to cryptsetup, what I came up with uses either libgcrypt or
> libtomcrypt (which supplies it's own pbkdf2 function).

Hi,
there is already patch I sent some time ago http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/issues/detail?id=10
(but it is not final patch, I would like to use backend infrastructure
and add selection of hash instead of hardcoded SHA1 here)

> Anyway, what I wanted to bring up was the gcrypt function I'm using, which
> is based on this, which may be of use to you;
> http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gcrypt-devel/2002-December/000202.html

Yes, I used that implementation of PBKDF in patch above too.

> The reason I used tomcrypt as well is because it seems to be about 50%
> faster for all hashes they have in common (other than whirlpool, where
> gcrypt is ~50% faster), also this is with libgcrypt compiled with -O3,
> which is easily more than TWICE as fast as when it's compiled with -O2...

The speed of hash calculation is not so important here. It is just about
initialization of key for kernel dm-crypt.
And there are other reasons why stick with gcrypt, it is already used and
available almost everywhere.

Milan