Re: Altering hash for existing volume

SHA-1 is not vulnerable for this application. It may become
vulnerable one day, but currently it is just a bad idea for
user-generated certificates and the like, since the known
vulnerabilities require you to control both plain texts
and to know the hash (which you do when you have one
plain-text).

In LUKS/dm-crypt the attacke has no plaintext (the passphrase)
and in addition a successful attack on the hash does not
really help, since the attacker does not have the
hash value (the encryption key) either. A two-sided collision
attack, as the current attacks on SHA-1 are, has no security
implications here.

However if you really want to rip it out, you have to create
new keys, since sha-1 is used in PBKDF2 and you cannot really
reverse that. You do however not need to recreate the filesystem.
What you do is to make a raw image backup of the decrypted
device (not mounted). Then you do your new encryption, and
restore that into the nnew decrypted device. Admittedly a
filesystem backup and recreation before restore is easuier.
But since you have to hack the PBKDF2 code anyways, the backup
and restore is the easy part.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx