Re: Altering hash for existing volume

On 7/18/09, martin f krafft <madduck@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sure, but I am still curious. And I think it should be possible to
> change the hash for new slots, which is why I filed Debian bug
> #537385

No, it's not possible to use two different hashes, this is simply
because there is only one hash spec field. To do so would require
using a different on disk format to LUKS.

It would be possible to change from sha1 to another hash for all your
key slots, it would merely require decrypting each keyslot using
PBKDF2/sha1, and then re-encrypting using PBKDF2/newhash.

That's a bit of screwing around coding a niche functionality.

What I'd like to see is -h support for LUKS in cryptsetup, the ability
to print the bulk payload key and the ability to specify the bulk
payload key with luksFormat (which is useful in other circumstances
too). That way one could achieve what you desire pretty easily..

-- Roscoe