Re: luks on lvm on raid: is it safe (meaning stable)?

I would like to note that you have a couple options on where you put the
LUKS.  On my setup I did it after the raid but before the LVM if I recall
correctly.  Unfortunately this only allows one dmcrypt process to run, which
ends up being a huge bottleneck for any relatively new raid array (my
throughput dropped from 500MB/s to 80MB/s).  If you put LUKS on each drive
individually before setting up mdadm, then you have N dmcrypt processes
which could potentially give you much better performance if you have an SMP
system.  Unfortunately this also means you would have to enter your password
N times, but a script to do it automatically shouldn't be too hard to write,
although there may be some security considerations there...

Regards,

-Clay

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 2:01 AM, Ryan Castellucci <ryan.castellucci@xxxxxxxxx