Re: rescue corrupted luks header?

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 02:56:06PM -0800, Kevin Bowen wrote:
> By 'backup header', do you mean there's a redundant copy stored
> somewhere other than the start of the device? Or are you just talking
> about backing up my damaged header?

He means "Backing up the header".

> I saw a mention on the list
> archives of someone suggesting implementing a redundant header copy
> stored elsewhere on the device, and the luks author saying he thought
> that was a good idea, and he'd implement it in the next version, but
> I'm not clear on whether that has already happened yet.
>
> If there *IS* a redundant, uncorrupted backup header somewhere, how do
> I find it?

There is not.

> Or is that what you were trying to give me directions on
> backing up before? If so, how would I go about finding my "payload
> offset", other than from luksDump? Cause luksDump doesn't work for me
> - it just errors out saying its not a valid luks device.

Look at my other email. It is the 4 bytes starting at offset
104 = 0x68.

If you have trouble with interpreting hexdump data, send me the
output from

  hex /dev/<luks-partition> | head -n 150

and I will have a look at it for you.

> > Keyslot is not fixed size, I think it depends on cipher key length.

It does and I never claimed otherwise. However the start of the
bulk data is allways after the last keyslot data.

> > Anyway, backup of header is easy, there is unecrypted header
> > (always of the 592 bytes IIRC) and keyslot area,
> > starting at 4k offset).
> >
> > run "crytpsetup luksDump <device>",
> > remeber the "Payload offset" (in sectors).
> >
> > then backup header with
> > dd if=<device> of=<backup_file> bs=512 count=NUM
> >
> > where NUM is the payload offset above.
> >
> > (note that anyone with this backup and knowledge
> > of any passphrase in backup header can decrypt data with
> > this, even if you change passphrase later on real disk.)
> >
> > Restore - simple dd it backwards.
> >
> > I think that this should work always, header and all
> > keyslots area should be there but not more.
> > (Restoring more data than LUKS header length can
> > rewrite filesystem data with some old content.)

Restoring more is not critical as long as the filesystem
was not successfully mounted. THis is not a "normal"
backup we are talking here, but an emergency measure
to secure the recovery attempt against mistakes.

Arno
---
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----