Re: rescue corrupted luks header?

By 'backup header', do you mean there's a redundant copy stored
somewhere other than the start of the device? Or are you just talking
about backing up my damaged header? I saw a mention on the list
archives of someone suggesting implementing a redundant header copy
stored elsewhere on the device, and the luks author saying he thought
that was a good idea, and he'd implement it in the next version, but
I'm not clear on whether that has already happened yet.

If there *IS* a redundant, uncorrupted backup header somewhere, how do
I find it? Or is that what you were trying to give me directions on
backing up before? If so, how would I go about finding my "payload
offset", other than from luksDump? Cause luksDump doesn't work for me
- it just errors out saying its not a valid luks device.

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Milan Broz <mbroz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Arno Wagner wrote:
>>> Ok, revised: Look at offset 104 in the header. It lists
>>> where the bulk data starts (in sectors). Backup everything
>>> before.
>
> Keyslot is not fixed size, I think it depends on cipher key length.
>
> Anyway, backup of header is easy, there is unecrypted header
> (always of the 592 bytes IIRC) and keyslot area,
> starting at 4k offset).
>
> run "crytpsetup luksDump <device>",
> remeber the "Payload offset" (in sectors).
>
> then backup header with
> dd if=<device> of=<backup_file> bs=512 count=NUM
>
> where NUM is the payload offset above.
>
> (note that anyone with this backup and knowledge
> of any passphrase in backup header can decrypt data with
> this, even if you change passphrase later on real disk.)
>
> Restore - simple dd it backwards.
>
> I think that this should work always, header and all
> keyslots area should be there but not more.
> (Restoring more data than LUKS header length can
> rewrite filesystem data with some old content.)
>
> Milan
> --
> mbroz@xxxxxxxxxx

Kevin Bowen