Re: luks on lvm on raid: is it safe (meaning stable)?

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Wolfgang Sailer
<Wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear all!
>
> I have a question regarding luks on lvm:
>
> Currently I am running LUKS on a 6-disk raid 5, where every disk has 1
> primary partition that takes part in the raid. So far no problems. But I'm
> running out of space.
>
> So I would like to buy 2 new drives, set them up as a raid 1 (for
> convenience i would add the whole drives to the raid without creating
> partitions on them), add the raid as (the only) volume to a lvm volume group
> and put several partitions on the lvm: unencrypted ones for root, home ...
> and one encrypted to hold critical data. Then I intend to copy over the data
> from the 6 disk encrypted raid5 to the new drives' encrypted logical
> partition and dismantle the 6 drives.
>
> I think such a setup is perfectly valid, but is there any concern putting
> luks on a virtual partition in a volume group consisting of a raid1? Do I
> need to take something special into account, like setting up lvm in a
> special way (certain block size...) to make it work smoothly with luks? Do I
> need to tell luks some additional information such that it is installed on
> lvm? Is such a setup as stable as putting luks on real partitions?
>
> Should I fill the whole disk with /dev/urandom or just the partition that
> will hold the luks volume?
>
> What if I add another disk (or raid volume) to the volume group in order to
> expand the space in future? Will that disturb luks? I have done a smooth
> raid5 expansion from 4 to 5 to 6 disks in the past followed by a luks
> expansion and an ext3 expansion, but never an lvm expansion...

I've been running LUKS on LVM2 on RAID6 for almost two years.  It's
been unfazed by disk failure, lvresizes, hard power offs, etc.  The
defaults work fine for me, though they may be sub-optimal..  I've used
both XFS and ext3 without problems.

--
Ryan Castellucci http://ryanc.org/