Re: LUKS half works

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:05:37AM +0700, M. Thomas Frederiksen wrote:
[...]
> Don't the faq's say not to make a backup?

I think so. However that is mainly to prevent a situation where
you revoke/change a passphrase/key because it has been compromised
and the backup is still there and allows access. For installation
or if you can reliably erase it when you change passphrases, a backup
is ok from a security POV. Since overwriting the header removes
all possibility to get at the data again, a backup is very much
recommended when you do installation tasks that may involve the
encrypted partition.

> Also, if the real key is in
> the header... how does luks prevent it from being used w/out the
> password?

Simple: It is encrypted with the passphrase.

> Might a future version keep backup headers automatically, in
> case of brain dead users, and crummy setup tools?

Unlikely, as you have to know what you are doing with backup or
you can kill your security. Also there is the little problem that
an "install over it" would also install oiver the backup, if it was
automatic. As for non-automatic backups, I think there is a srcipt
somewere that does them.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx