LUKS half works

Hi Folks,

I did a stupid thing.  I installed kubuntu 8.10, and tried to use the
setup tool to activate my LUKS home directory, which is on LVM.  In the
LVM setup, I told it to use it as a volume for encryption, and input my
key.  When it didn't see my reiserfs partition and wanted to setup an
ext3 one, I realized that it wasn't going to work, and told it to ignore
the volume.  Post install, I find that luksOpen works fine, but the
block device isn't mountable.  I also tried "dd if=/dev/mapper/newHome |
strings", and it looks random... thus it seems that it's still encrypted
even tho the luksOpen command claims to exit successfully.  The luksDump
command also seems to work.  Is there hope for me, or am I sh*! out of luck?

Thanks in advance for any help for any help you can offer.

Cheers,
~Thomas