Re: LUKS half works

Hey Thomas,

On 03/01/2009 M. Thomas Frederiksen wrote:
> I did a stupid thing.  I installed kubuntu 8.10, and tried to use the
> setup tool to activate my LUKS home directory, which is on LVM.  In the
> LVM setup, I told it to use it as a volume for encryption, and input my
> key.  When it didn't see my reiserfs partition and wanted to setup an
> ext3 one, I realized that it wasn't going to work, and told it to ignore
> the volume.  Post install, I find that luksOpen works fine, but the
> block device isn't mountable.  I also tried "dd if=/dev/mapper/newHome |
> strings", and it looks random... thus it seems that it's still encrypted
> even tho the luksOpen command claims to exit successfully.  The luksDump
> command also seems to work.  Is there hope for me, or am I sh*! out of luck?

Is it possible that you setup a new luks device on your /home device during
kubuntu installation instead of activating an existing one? In that case
you're out of luck as long as you don't have a backup of the luks header
from your old encrypted /home device.

If luksOpen exits successfully and without error message, then the setup
worked, and the keyfile/passphrase you gave is correct.
If my assumption above is correct, then this explains why the decrypted
device has random data on it. The old luks header of your /home device
was overwritten by a new one, and now the data which was encrypted with
the old luks masterkey is decrypted with the new luks masterkey, and
that produces garbage.

I don't know the kubuntu installation setup, so I cannot tell you whether
I'm right. But if yes, then only a backup of your old /home device or at
least the first few kilobytes (they contain the luks header with the
masterkey) of you old /home device can help you.

greetings,
 jonas