Re: LUKS half works

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for the reply.
> Is it possible that you setup a new luks device on your /home device during
> kubuntu installation instead of activating an existing one?

That's exactly what happened. It never occurred to me that Kubuntu's
crummy setup tool would not detect the same technology that it uses. I
thot it was using "cryptsetup create ..." But the other partitions it
setup are luks... what do they think will happen at next install? I'll
send them a bug report.
> In that case you're out of luck as long as you don't have a backup of the luks header
> from your old encrypted /home device.

Don't the faq's say not to make a backup? Also, if the real key is in
the header... how does luks prevent it from being used w/out the
password? Might a future version keep backup headers automatically, in
case of brain dead users, and crummy setup tools?

Cheers,
~Thomas