Re: LUKS half works

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 8:35 AM, M. Thomas Frederiksen
<mahasamoot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's exactly what happened. It never occurred to me that Kubuntu's
> crummy setup tool would not detect the same technology that it uses. I
> thot it was using "cryptsetup create ..." But the other partitions it
> setup are luks... what do they think will happen at next install? I'll
> send them a bug report.

Unfortunately, there's a very thin line between "my data is
safe from theft" and "sh*t, I can't access my data anymore",
and I think popular distros are not doing enough to protect
the user from crossing that line.

>> In that case you're out of luck as long as you don't have a backup of the luks header
>> from your old encrypted /home device.
>>
> Don't the faq's say not to make a backup?

Yes, and the logic is solid: access to a luks header makes
password revocation futile (for the passwords that were
current at the time that header was backed up).

But again, it's ultra-paranoid.  It's good for the kind of
data where "no one else should EVER be able to see this" is
far more critical than "this data is important to me and I
need *some* insurance against losing it".  What percent of
people, and what percent of their data, need that level of
protection I leave to you to decide.

Plus, as you have just discovered with Kubuntu, it
implicitly assumes that the installation/configuration/setup
is perfect.

> Also, if the real key is in the header... how does luks prevent it from being
> used w/out the password?

It's not stored plain of course -- it's protected by your
password, strengthened by schemes like PBKDF2.

> Might a future version keep backup headers automatically, in
> case of brain dead users, and crummy setup tools?

Not the upstream dm-crypt software: it is the job of
security software to be ultra-paranoid by default.  But
distros should do something about this, perhaps as an option
at the time of install -- IMO it is *their* job to make the
technology usable to different levels of users.