Re: Request for Comments: Pledge fund for multicore support

* Arno Wagner <arno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:25:47AM +0200, Michael Gebetsroither wrote:

>> 30MB/s?
>> You know that even a single moderm SATA disk does 100MB/s streaming?
>
> Not really. Most reach close to 100MB/s at the start and go down to
> something like 50MB/s at the end. This was a very modern notebook
> disk (low power server) towards the end.

Except those lovely ssd's from which you get about 170-200MB/s from one
disk.

>> The _real_ problem behind all these is much bigger.  For the majority of
>> the users the single-threaded performance will stagnate (or even
>> decrease) in the next years
>
> So, they bought not what was actually fastest. For most, it will
> still be more than fast enough.

No, not that they bought a slow PC.
A new quad-core is quite a bit slower in single threaded performance as
a high-end dual-core. Even if the quad-core has much greater
multi-threaded performance, single threaded workloads are not their
friends.

Intel just released a 6x core and the 8 cores are on the way to the
mainstream.

Thats what i meant with single threaded performance is about to drop
quite noticeable in the next years.

Just take the sun T1/T2 as example. Even if they have hw crypto engines
for every core, you have to feed them from multiple threads to saturate a
Gbit link.

>> > Incidentially, I believe your request has about zero prospect
>> > of being sucessful. It is a lot of effort for basically
>> > very few people having any gain. I would not do it unless fully
>> > paid, but thet _wpuld_ be expensive.
>>
>> As the fix with the current situation is quite simple (put the raid on
>> top of dm-crypt) it's not the biggest problem, yes.
>
> Well, if it is RAID, hat is a good solution. However for
> single disks that does not work. I originally thought
> this was about an encrypted fast flash disk.

For really large files, e.g vides, it's possibel to make a few
partitions with dm-crypt and combine them into a raid0 with large
chunk size (to keep the seeking low).

This setup is quite usable for streaming workloads but is unusable for
anything other.

> One the other side, the problem is not really an issue,
> even though some people seem to feel strongly about it.

Not a big issue yet, ack.
I just wanted to note that the situation will get a lot worse in the
next years.

cu,
michael
--