Re: Re: Request for Comments: Pledge fund for multicore support

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 04:29:36PM -0500, Clayton Shepard wrote:
> It sounds like it may be more effective, and much less code, to write a well
> scripted front end that manages and automates the creation and opening of
> multiple LUKS devices at once.

I agree. In addition this can be done by anybody competent, as it does
not need insights into the LUKS implementation.

> IE create 12 LUKS devices with one the same passphrase with one command, and
> then open all 12 with one command.  Although I personally don't really use
> the pasphrase management features - I guess a similar command to add and
> revoke passphrases would also be needed.
>
> I am not a cryptology expert, so I do not know what impact having all 12 of
> these with the same/different masterkey would have on security.  It seems
> like all of them having the same key couldn't be any worse than the > 1TB
> problem it is already faced with.

While I have not looked into teh 1TB issue, using the same masterkey,
you would probably need to add all disk sizes together in order
to determine whether this is vulnerable.

> Would 12 different masterkeys with the
> same passphrase present any security problems?

That should be fine, as then the devices are effectively
independent. There might be some issue of on-disk structure
from the RAID, but that should still not be a problem, especially
with independent keys. The pasphrase only protects the keys,
and the key material is not really a lot (i.e. << 1TB ;-),
so I do not see any problem with usiong the same passphrase
for multiple keys.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx