Re: Request for Comments: Pledge fund for multicore support

* Arno Wagner <arno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have about 45% CPU on a very low end AMD Sempron(tm)
> Processor LE-1250 for 30MB/s. You probably should have
> bought faster cores instead of more.

30MB/s?
You know that even a single moderm SATA disk does 100MB/s streaming?
The problem is, that about 0.1% of the users have CPU's where one core
is capable of >100MB/s of even AES 128.

The _real_ problem behind all these is much bigger.  For the majority of
the users the single-threaded performance will stagnate (or even
decrease) in the next years

> Incidentially, I believe your request has about zero prospect
> of being sucessful. It is a lot of effort for basically
> very few people having any gain. I would not do it unless fully
> paid, but thet _wpuld_ be expensive.

As the fix with the current situation is quite simple (put the raid on
top of dm-crypt) it's not the biggest problem, yes.
But as stated above, moderm disks are faster than one core could encrypt
with AES128.
And the situation only gets worse.

cu,
michael