Re: Re: Request for Comments: Pledge fund for multicore support

I also would benefit from parallelism in the kcryptd support.  I replied to
a previous thread on this.  My situation is outlined in a bug report to
Ubuntu:

Although I managed to wipe that entire array :( by being an ignorant retard
and lost 4TB of data...  I will be rebuilding it eventually.

Before starting I did not realize that the only way to get multiple kcryptd
processes was to encrypt each device separately, or else I would have
considered that.  However, it would be a huge pain to have to open 7 LUKS
devices just to bring my array online (especially when using the recommended
30-40 char passphrase).

Each drive can do ~100MB/s, so even if this weren't a raid array I believe
that I would see a performance increase from parallelism even just
encrypting one drive (as Micheal mentioned).

Someone mentioned a specialized hardware encryption (maybe on the last
thread)... What options are there for hardware assisted encryption?

In short, I think more people would benefit from this functionality than
Arno, and others, believe.

Regards,

-Clay