Re: hex keys

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 03:45:39PM +0100, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> Hey Dennis,
>
> Would you mind closing bug #387159 -compulsory hashing in luks format
> in the debian bugtracking system now that you don't insist on that
> feature any longer?
>
> greetings,
>  jonas

Hi Jonas,

Although I was mistaken about passphrases being truncated, I still
don't feel comfortable about hashing a hex key for the other reason I
mentioned.

The problem is that hashes of keys in hex format might be
statistically biased, giving an attacker an advantage. I don't know
whether they are, but since I have nothing to gain in security, why
should I risk it (or have that choice made for me)?

Currently the --hash=plain option is ignored with luks actions
(according to the manual page). It's easy enough to fix and would harm
no one, so I see no reason it shouldn't be.

Dennis