Re: hex keys

At Sun, 9 Mar 2008 14:41:13 +0000,
dennis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dennis Furey) wrote:

> I've been using my own patched version of cryptsetup that allows a key
> entered in hex format to be interpreted as such and not hashed. My key
> was generated by rolling dice and has nothing to gain from hashing,
> but there seems to be no way to avoid hashing with LUKS formatted
> devices using the standard version (unless things have changed
> lately). I sent my patch to the Debian maintainer who said I'd have to
> take it to the upstream developers, but that they've been opposed to
> the idea in the past. Does anyone have any further insights into this
> issue?

LUKS is about delivering save-as-you-can-get encryption for _regular_
user passphrases like: "hello","123","tim". When you have an entropy
rich key, use "cryptsetup create". Or even better, use dmsetup. It
supports hex keys directly.

Also hashing should not weaken your password, so I don't get the
reason why you want to avoid it. (IIRC, SHA1 is no universal hash, but it
should be good enough for pratical purposes).
--
Fruhwirth Clemens - http://clemens.endorphin.org