hex keys

I've been using my own patched version of cryptsetup that allows a key
entered in hex format to be interpreted as such and not hashed. My key
was generated by rolling dice and has nothing to gain from hashing,
but there seems to be no way to avoid hashing with LUKS formatted
devices using the standard version (unless things have changed
lately). I sent my patch to the Debian maintainer who said I'd have to
take it to the upstream developers, but that they've been opposed to
the idea in the past. Does anyone have any further insights into this
issue?

Dennis