Re: dm-crypt is broken and causes massive data corruption

Christophe Saout schrieb:
Hi all,

I'm sorry, I've been a bit busy, so that's why you haven't heard
anything new from me. It's nice to get all this input and perhaps it
might help me finding the problem.

After having looked at the code a lot I suspect that it's not dm-crypt
itself (the symptoms just don't make sense with the way it works) but
rather some problem elsewhere that is triggered by certain timing
conditions.

I appreciate that you still try to find the bug despite the fact that Tillman Steinbrecher apparently barked up the wrong tree here, for now we begin to see that it is not dm-crypt that is broken.

It seems that this special use-case (i.e. using crypto over raid) is simply the main scenario to trigger the incompatibility between device mapper and raid subsystems. Who would care to use device mapper over raid if not for encryption?

This bug will still be hard to find, since it seems timing-related and occurs so rarely.

BTW: Are there known problems with LVM and RAID? And has anyone tested with 2.6.17 (although as far as I remember, the changes from 2.6.16 were made to enable RAID-5 online growing of arrays and not for bugfixing).