Re: dm-crypt is broken and causes massive data corruption

Kevin Eilers schrieb:
Hi!

So, it seems that once the mapping is broken, it stays broken until it
is removed and recreated with cryptsetup.

I have experienced something similar. It sometimes took me hours to
produce the corruptions, but once I got the first warnings, every minor
write operation triggered it until I rebooted (root and var filesystems
were affected, so unmounting and remapping didn't work).

Another thing I noticed:
I was using lvm ontop of dm-crypt ontop of raid5 and some filesystems
(logical volumes) would get corrupted when under heavy load, and others
got corrupted when other filesystem were under heavy load. It may be
coincidence but it was always the same combination:
Producing heavy load on the var lv corrupted it.
Producing heavy load on my data lv corrupted the root lv.

All lvs were on the same volume group.

Kevin

Very interesting.

Another observation: I had several occasions where I could stress the filesystem for hours without a hitch and on the first access after a pause, the problem would occur immediately. Maybe one could trigger the problem by the following sequence:

1. cryptsetup
2. mke2fs
3. wait an hour
4. begin copying to the filesystem

And no, the drives were not in a power-save state (which should not be much of a problem anyway) and I always disable powersaved.

But the most important new info I can contribute is that the Twofish cipher brings no solution to our problem, so aes-i586 seems fine. Which is what I expected, since even another DM target (dm-linear) does not work, which effectively rules out dm-crypt and ciphers completely.

This leaves us with the device mapper (any target) and RAID subsystems as the main problem candidates. Considering that I had other problems with cryptoloop, I'd favor the RAID subsystem.

Since I have been using RAID without problems without device mapper or CRYPTOLOOP, I suspect a race condition (critical region) between those subsystems.

Hope this helps.

Uwe