Re: Re: dm-crypt is broken and causes massive data corruption

Hi all,

I'm sorry, I've been a bit busy, so that's why you haven't heard
anything new from me. It's nice to get all this input and perhaps it
might help me finding the problem.

After having looked at the code a lot I suspect that it's not dm-crypt
itself (the symptoms just don't make sense with the way it works) but
rather some problem elsewhere that is triggered by certain timing
conditions.

Unfortunately I only found one case where I was able to trigger a bug,
but only on a production machine (don't have three hard disks myself to
make a RAID5) which I can't debug and only with a certain kernel.

Which filesystems have you been seeing the corruption on?

I also noticed that there were some RAID5 bug fixes that went into
2.6.17 (which I doubt are connected to the corruption problems though).

For those that are trying to help reproducing the problems: I found out
that you usually don't have to wait until the kernel starts spitting out
error messages. Just run a small test copy process (or something else, I
found out that several concurrent writes with some 100 Megs seem to
trigger the problem, at least on ext3), unmount the filesystem and run
fsck, which will tell you if there was a corruption.