Re: is ceph-deploy still used?

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 8:42 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 8:49 AM <vitalif@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Please don't remove and don't abandon it. There must be an option for simplified deployment without any orchestration, ceph-deploy is that option.

what do you mean by "remove" it? ceph-deploy is not packaged anymore,
and we just removed the documentation referencing it in master. yeah,
i have to agree with you that ceph-deploy is probably the most
painless option in that use case. i don't think we will going to nuke
the repo, if this is your concern.

> > I understand that you want to force everyone use containers, but it's definitely unnecessary to fast track it.
> >
> > There are funny things with it, too. For example, official Ceph containers have old smartctl thus drive health collection doesn't work. Another example is that it's currently impossible to change grafana url with cephadm because the orchestration module always resets it to a hardcoded value. And I'm sure there are plenty more issues...

i don't think i am in the position of forcing the community to do
anything. i sent the mail just in hope to see if i should invest my
time into looking into ceph-deploy pull requests and test failures,
and try to cut a release. as it's not well maintained recently. also,
please note, this is off-topic. but if you really care about the
issues in ceph-deploy, cephadm or our official Ceph container, please
feel free to improve these projects.

> While I'm no advocate for ceph-deploy, I also don't particularly like
> cephadm and forcing containers for Ceph clusters. My personal
> deployments don't need it or gain anything from it, and the additional
> layer to manage just adds complexity with little value. Keep in mind
> that crazy container-based deployments are harder to manage,
> troubleshoot, and experiment with, which is discouraging to
> contributors and hobbyist users/developers.

yeah, all makes sense.

> --
> 真実はいつも一つ!/ Always, there's only one truth!

Regards
Kefu Chai