Re: is ceph-deploy still used?

On 9/4/20 9:37 AM, Anthony D'Atri wrote:

> That said, often there’s a genuine need for progress, eg. ceph-disk.
> I never had that many problems with it myself, though I recognize
> that it was … complex and messy so the move to ceph-volume made
> sense.

And there, there was a clear transition by removing ceph-disk from the
code base and documenting the rationale for doing so.

> So for ceph-deploy, I wouldn’t object to not updating it to work with
> future releases, but please don’t remove it from git or package
> repositories, as some people will need to use it indefinitely.

The challenge I see here: as long as ceph-deploy is included in the code
base and packages (and docs), people assume it's still maintained. As
this does not seem to be the case, it should officially be deprecated
and removed eventually. Otherwise, we're just setting false expectations
and cause frustration.

Lenz

--
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg
GF: Felix Imendörffer, HRB 36809 (AG Nürnberg)