Re: is ceph-deploy still used?

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 1:06 AM Anthony D'Atri <anthony.datri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Lots of installations have significant automation and processes built around ceph-deploy.  And few resources to repeatedly perform deep retrofits to accomodate moving targets.  Heck, I still struggle to understand why the mon time sync status was moved.
>
> ceph-ansible has matured nicely, but it doesn’t meet everyone’s needs.
>
> cephadm in Octopus doesn’t retroactively manage clusters running older releases, and from what I can see on ceph-users it’s not mature.  Heck I’m likely to wait for Pacific to give it time to work out the kinks.
>
> Those running production workloads don’t have the option of throwing everything away and starting from scratch.

Hi Anthony, thanks for your inputs. i wanted to evaluate the interests
in our community for a new release of ceph-deploy. so i will try to
cut a new release of ceph-deploy to address the python3 support. but
in the long run, i think we will only maintain ceph-ansible, and
cephadm would be the recommended way to deploy a Ceph cluster in the
long run.

as we know, "every mail client sucks" =) but it'd be a pain to
maintain 3 tools for deploying at the same time. even if one of them
does not suck in some cases.

> > On Aug 26, 2020, at 10:16 PM, kefu chai <tchaikov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > sorry for cross-posting. i sent this mail to ceph-maintainers two
> > months ago, but got no responses so far.  but after reading the
> > comments in https://github.com/ceph/ceph-deploy/pull/496, i think i
> > should check with ceph-devel as well. so i am forwarding this mail to
> > ceph-devel for more inputs.

Regards
Kefu Chai