Re: ceph-volume simple disk scenario without LVM for OSD on PVC

On Fri, 6 Dec 2019, Anthony D'Atri wrote:
> The key in /etc/ceph also gets lost if you repave the OS.  I discovered
> the hard way when I had to repave a node and the OSDs wouldn’t start.
> They had to be redeployed, which was a whole lot of data movement that
> shouldn’t have needed to happen.  I subsequently found another 150 or so
> that I redeployed to avoid another rude awakening.
>
> The current (well as of Luminous) scheme is to store them on the mons,
> is that somehow no longer feasible?

Yeah, that's the scheme I'm talking about.  There is metadata and a
key-fetching-key on the device itself, though, that is used to get the
actual dm-crypt decryption key from the mon.  That needs to go somewhere
(another partition, a small LV, LVM metadata, etc.).

The c-v simple mode is more like the pre-luminous scheme, so not really
useful for dm-crypt.

sage