Re: ceph-volume simple disk scenario without LVM for OSD on PVC

On 05.12.19 10:33, Sebastien Han wrote:
> Sorry, this has turned again into a ceph-disk/ceph-volume discussion...

Yes because that's basically what you're doing here. Personally I don't
see the value in just switching back again as I didn't found real good
and absolutely necessary reasons to do so and why rook and/or
ceph-volume couldn't be fixed in that regard. I also didn't find out why
the new solution should be any better in the case that we don't talk
about switching back in a few month again because all of those issues
are fixed now - You said it yourself "ultimately fixed" which at the
same time means that such tools need some time to reach the point were
all those issues are fixed. We need to start to talk across boundaries
and to reach out and involve other project maintainer to work on real
solutions instead of moving out of their way.

Just imagine we would switch back to partitions, that would mean that
we're doing again a breaking change between releases. This change would
result in the same thing such like filestore->bluestore or
ceph-disk->ceph-volume - people have to rewrite the whole data of their
cluster at one point or another (or do we want to support both tools
forever?). I have the feeling that we sometimes treat this whole project
still just like a kick-starter project were everything can be switched
and changed between releases in any direction and whenever we think it
would be nice to do so. Could we please start to think about that
there's a big and luckily growing user base behind that are actively
relaying on this solution and they're not keen on moving their data
around just because we had a "feeling"?

No one should feel personally offended by the last remark but
introducing such changes isn't something we could/should just do. We
really should have 100% valid arguments why replacing one tool by
another tool, which we had already in the past, now magically solves
everything and we're sure that we can't fix such issues in the current
solution.

Kai

--
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D 90409 Nürnberg
GF:Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer, (HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)