Re: ceph-volume simple disk scenario without LVM for OSD on PVC

On 2019-12-03T19:58:55, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> An LVM-less approach is appealing.

I'm not sure.

LVM provides many management functions - such as being able to
transparently re-map/move data from one device to another, or increasing
LV sizes, say - that otherwise would need to be reimplemented by the OSD
processes.

> Something that explicitly does bluestore only and does not support dmcrypt
> could be pretty straightforward, though...

Yes, but given the current deployment ratios, I'd bet this would also
not be applicable to the majority of deployments. Yes, it'd get the very
very simple ones of the ground, but we'd still have to solve the actual
problems. (Plus then maintain the "simple" way on top, and how to go
from there to the more complex one, feature-disparities, DriveGroups for
each, etc etc)

--
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, MD: Felix Imendörffer, HRB 36809 (AG Nürnberg)
"Architects should open possibilities and not determine everything." (Ueli Zbinden)