Re: Invalid module format

Am Tue, 05 May 2009 12:04:02 +0200
schrieb Peter_22@xxxxxx:

> In practice a kernel recompile is needed. Seems the ubuntu jerks tend
> to adopt the same bad habits SuSE developers developed before I
> changed to ubuntu.
[...]
> Once again I get the impression loop-aes is somehow driven out of
> linux for the sake of luks/dm-crypt.

Why can't loopAES be installed parallel to mainline loop?
I've once tried it myself ( Of course I don't understand, what I
did, because I don't have any deeper knowledge about the linux
kernel ;) ): I've simply changed some names and assigned different
values to constants to avoid conflicts (other ioctl numbers, another
block major number,...) After that, it seemed to be possible to use
both in parallel: /dev/loopX together with mainline loop (loop.ko),
and /dev/xloopX with loop-aes (xloop.ko).

Are there any deeper conflicts between mainline loop and loopAES , so
it's not possible to use them both at the same time?

Installing an additional module is easy ( especially, if dkms is part
of the distribution); compiling an own kernel is time consuming and too
difficult for many users.

Perhaps, the current procedure of installation discourages many from
using loopAES ...

-