Linux Crypto API in Linux Kernel

Hello ,

I am using Ubuntu and currently,my machine does not contain Crypto API. I want to install crypto API with my current version of Linux Kernel (2.6.27.11).

Actually, I want to use MD5 and SHA1 hash functions for my project and I am not able to use.

Could you please suggest me some idea either to install the Crypto API or better option to use hash functions?

Please reply me as soon as possible.
--
Saurabh D Chokshi