Re: PC randomly hangs, loop-aes suspected

Jan Klod wrote:
> Problem is still not really solved, however, there is quite big
> probability, that some network module or USB modem module is to blame.
> It takes too long, too wait for hang, so it is not easy to determine
> what causes it by experimenting with excluding something.
> I compiled new kernel as Jari wrote (kernel image is called "jari"
> now!), but that was not a problem (or not the only problem).
>
> My question is: how to locate a problem, if it is in kernel or module?
> If you have some useful link, please post it here!

Sorry for late answer.

One test that you can easily do is to run following command on some test
file system:

    cp /dev/zero someFileNameHere

where that 'someFileNameHere' is a new file on encrypted file system that is
at least twice as big as the amount of RAM in your conputer. Then remove the
file and try again few times. You may want to run that test on some test
partition, because it may end up filling the file system completely.

Second thing that you can do is to tell me where I can find kernel patches
that get applied to your gentoo kernel. I don't run gentoo, so gentoo
specific download scripts won't work here.

I found these "gentoo-sources 2.6.22-r9" patches, but I am not sure if they
are correct ones:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/genpatches/tarballs/genpatches-2.6.22-10.base.tar.bz2
http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/genpatches/tarballs/genpatches-2.6.22-10.extras.tar.bz2

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-