Re: PC randomly hangs, loop-aes suspected

Jan Klod wrote:
Problem is still not really solved, however, there is quite big probability, that some network module or USB modem module is to blame. It takes too long, too wait for hang, so it is not easy to determine what causes it by experimenting with excluding something. I compiled new kernel as Jari wrote (kernel image is called "jari" now!), but that was not a problem (or not the only problem).

My question is: how to locate a problem, if it is in kernel or module? If you have some useful link, please post it here!

I have only debugged the kernel in the old fashioned way myself, but gdb is able to attach itself to a running kernel. You can also patch the kernel with kdb (kernel debugger), that will help gdb to get out more useful info (and some serial console stuff it seems).

To debug after the crash is called "post mortem debugging", and a google search together with 'linux kernel' give some pointers to tools for doing that.

-Gisle

-