Re: not sure if this a relevant article for this group-might be of interest

* Max Vozeler <max@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 02:40:02PM +0200, markus reichelt wrote:
> > I misinterpreted the report as: loop-AES no longer works with
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m under Debian.
> >
> > One of the drawbacks of a package system; users trust it too much
> > when they fiddle with their system.
> >
> > Does the Debian loop-AES package contain loop-AES modules and
> > patched util-linux? If so, then how do people still manage to
> > confuse things like that?
>
> These are seperate packages. There is one with patched util-linux
> ("loop-aes-utils"), another with source for people wanting to build
> modules for custom kernels ("loop-aes-source"), and then packages
> with the loop-AES (+ciphers) modules built for Debian kernels
> ("loop-aes-modules-$KERNEL").

Yikes. This is even messier than the to-date non-existent Slackware
solution ;) so far nobody dared committing a package for loop-AES to
linuxpackages.

With Slackware 11.0 I saw light on the hirozon to sneak it into the
system the Debian way; all gone since Slackware 12.0 has loop support
built-in; and I *had* informed Head Honchos about the issue. Argh.

Anyway, I'm having a difficult time staying with classic initrd
stuff because I've just gone through a major system reorganization
and had to prepare special initrds in advance. Being myself,
naturally, I forgot to adapt something important, and I had to
consult a backup system: What A Hassle <tm>.

Ok, long story short, I'm looking for people who have adapted (or
not, or just slightly, or just want to share feedback, ...) Alon
Bar-Lev's http://wiki.tuxonice.net/EncryptedSwapAndRoot approach to
things. I mean it.

I've started to strip things down to what I need, that's solely
loop-AES specific stuff. No dm-crap, no sw-nightmare et al. Just the
basics, as Al Capone would have said...

So... Anyone? Tips, pitfalls, nightmares... suggestions?

--
left blank, right bald